• Helpful organisations

    The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)

    The leading professional body for managers of construction companies, both in the UK and internationally. The CIOB leads the way in establishing, promoting and maintaining standards of excellence for builders in the construction industry for the benefit of customers, clients, and building companies. Phone 01344 630 700 or visit www.ciob.org.uk

    The Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating (CIPHE)

    A registered educational charity for plumbers, whose prime objective is to improve the practice and principles of heating engineering and plumbing companies. Call 01708 472791 or visit www.ciphe.org.uk

    The Construction Industry Training Board (CITB)

    Provides assistance in all aspects of recruiting, training and qualifying the construction workforce, and works in partnership with both industry and government to improve the competitiveness of the industry as a whole. Visit www.citb.org.uk

    The Crafts Council

    Provides support for professionals within the craft sector, encouraging makers and curators to be ambitious and expand their artistic, technological and geographical horizons to deliver the highest quality work to the widest audiences. The Crafts Council also delivers events and exhibitions. Visit www.craftscouncil.org.uk

    Engineering Construction Industry Training Board (ECITB)

    Providing information about careers and training in the UK engineering construction industry. Visit www.ecitb.org.uk

    English Heritage

    Providing a range of online and offline resources to help you learn more about the historic environment. There is also a job page available, if you are already skilled and interested in working for English Heritage. Phone 0870 333 1181, email customers@english-heritage.org.uk or visit www.english-heritage.org.uk

    The Gas Safe Register

    Inspects and regulates the work of gas engineers in Great Britain. This scheme replaces the CORGI register, which is no longer recognised. Call 0800 408 5500 or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk

    Glass Qualification Authority (GQA)

    Information on training and qualifications for the glass and glazing industry in the UK. Phone 0114 272 0033 or visit www.gqaqualifications.com

    Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET)

    A charitable organisation supporting professional development and registration for those already in the trade. Advice, information and support for professionals, recent graduates and students – including a database of vacancies. Phone 01438 313 311 or visit www.theiet.org.uk

    The National Trust

    Has a dedicated Conservation, Heritage & Learning page for those looking for information on conservation and traditional skills. There is also a job search facility available if you would like to work for The National Trust. Phone 0844 800 1895 or visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk.

    The National Trust for Scotland

    The conservation charity that protects and promotes Scotland's natural and cultural heritage and is one of the largest conservation charities in Scotland. Their education department helps learners of all ages to access The Trust and its resources. Phone 0844 493 2100 or visit www.nts.org.uk.

    Nightingales UK Ltd

    A specialist home care provider, who offer an accredited training provider with Emergency Aid, Health & Safety in Health and Social Care, Food Safety, Nutrition - Healthier Foods and Specialist Diets, Health and Safety in the Workplace, COSHH, Fire Safety and Safe Moving/Manual Handling. Call 01925 652 800 or visit www.nightingaleswarrington.co.uk

    Women & Manual Trade

    The national organisation for tradeswomen and women training in the trades. Practical help and information for women wishing to enter the trades, and those already working as skilled tradeswomen. Phone 0207 251 9192 or visit www.wamt.org